[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

David 'TheRaven' Chisnall theraven at sucs.org
Thu May 8 11:35:17 UTC 2003

Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:

>- drop GIF (considering it has patent issues for opensource
>applications anyway)

I believe that the GIF patent has just lapsed.

As a further not, I don't believe anyone has yet clarified why simply
using the PHOTO attribute in a vcard is not acceptible for an avatar
yet.  Perhaps this could be done?  At the moment using pub-sub seems
like a 'we have this technology, let's use it' solution rather than a
'this is the simplest and best way of doing it' solution.