[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

David Sutton jabber at dsutton.legend.uk.com
Thu May 8 12:37:27 UTC 2003

Hello all,

  *wince* Let me put it this way, I would not be happy with the approach
of the conference component acting as detailed below, as I think this is
a waste of both bandwidth and storage resources. It takes a lot of
processing already whenever a user enters or leaves a conference room,
and this would just make the whole situation FAR worse.

  In fact, I do not believe that conferencing avatars should be covered
in this JEP, instead they should be covered by a MUC services extension
JEP. The best I would be happy with is allowing a user to register with
a room/service and allowing them to have their avatar hash stored in
that data. When a new user connected, I could walk the members hashtable
and send them avatar packets if they are registered and have 'avatars'
enabled. There are going to be rooms where avatars can be banned, and
this would allow control to be maintained.

Regards,

  David