[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu May 8 12:56:24 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 01:32:44PM +0200, Heiner Wolf wrote:
> > Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> > On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:05:04PM +0200, Heiner Wolf wrote:
> > > I agree avatars through pub/sub is the way to go for usual
> > IM/P usage.
> > >
> > > If we want avatars in conference component based chat, then we still
> > > need the JEP-0008 way, a digest in the <presence/> tag.
> >
> > No. In the conferences attaching anything to <presence/> is even worse
> > then in regular IM. In usual IM/P your presence is
> > broadcasted to people
> > in your roster - people you know and which probably know you. It is an
> > agreement between you and them what garbage you will send them.
> > In a conference room you will send your avatar info to people
> > you don't
> > know anything about.
>
> Yes, I am sending "garbage" to strangers in a conf room. Unless I do not
> want to disclose my avatar. But I am talking about the case that I want
> to send "garbage".
>
> The concern is about this scenario:
> - 100 users in a room
> - 1 user joins and sends avatar digest in <presence/>
> - conf component distributes the <presence/> tag.
> - 100 users compare their digest with the new one and fetch the avatar,
> if digest is old.
>
> It would be a mess, if all users would start to disco any time 1 users
> enters a room:
> - 100 users disco the new user
> - the new user discos 100 others
>
> Only the <presence/>-subtag scales in this case. I would not want
> (knowingly) to create a spec that does not scale. I am not talking pure
> theory here. I have an application and I do not want to code it worse
> because of a new JEP.

The completely scalable solution is to just use the real JID of occupants of a
(non-anonymous) room in MUC. You get this automatically, because it is send in
the presence stanza using the http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user namespace.
People who want to show their avatar to you are probably on your roster, and
that minimises the traffic even more, since you'd already have their avatar.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm