[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

David Sutton jabber at dsutton.legend.uk.com
Thu May 8 13:35:19 UTC 2003

Hello all,

  In accordance with the business section regarding Presence in
JEP-0045, MU-Conference will only strip extended MUC presence
information if sent by the client (for security and sanity reasons) All
other extensions to presence are not touched.

  However, with the current jabberd structure, I must advise against
overload presence with data such as avatar, music, etc. The more that is
added, the smaller the lower room limit before the service starts
slowing down. This will also cause room entry/leave times to grow
faster. This isn't something I can do much else about, as the issue is
with pth. I would also point out that mu-conference is a packet
multiplier - so your one message is duplicated x number of times - make
the packet bigger, and the bandwidth goes up.

  I would therefore have to say that room registration and distribution
that way would be far better for everyone concerned.

Regards,

  David