[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Thu May 8 14:08:51 UTC 2003

> Ralph Meijer wrote:
> The completely scalable solution is to just use the real JID
> of occupants of a
> (non-anonymous) room in MUC. You get this automatically,
> because it is send in
> the presence stanza using the
> http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user namespace.
> People who want to show their avatar to you are probably on
> your roster, and that minimises the traffic even more, since
> you'd already have their avatar.

This is not always true. There are cases
- where people join and leave rooms very often,
- where they want to have the avatar distributed to anyone,
- you have the avatar, but you always have to check the digest,

I am not talking about the chat case where you enter a rooom, chat,
leave in the evening. I am talking about 100 joins/leaves per hour.
(They will use their own chat rooms and servers). If you wonder why,
please see http://www.lluna.de/.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf