[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Thu May 8 15:29:40 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 04:08:51PM +0200, Heiner Wolf wrote:
> > Ralph Meijer wrote:
> > The completely scalable solution is to just use the real JID
> > of occupants of a
> > (non-anonymous) room in MUC. You get this automatically,
> > because it is send in
> > the presence stanza using the
> > http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user namespace.
> > People who want to show their avatar to you are probably on
> > your roster, and that minimises the traffic even more, since
> > you'd already have their avatar.
>
> This is not always true. There are cases
> - where people join and leave rooms very often,
> - where they want to have the avatar distributed to anyone,
> - you have the avatar, but you always have to check the digest,
>
> I am not talking about the chat case where you enter a rooom, chat,
> leave in the evening. I am talking about 100 joins/leaves per hour.
> (They will use their own chat rooms and servers). If you wonder why,
> please see http://www.lluna.de/.

I might be way off, but your client (looks great!) probably doesn't qualify
as a generic one. Of course you can expand presence stanzas with your own
propietary extensions for avatars when you KNOW that all clients will be
your product anyway.

I came from the generic case where people often meet in the same rooms
with different clients with a generic MUC system. When I come into a room
regularly and want to see the avatars of the occupants, I use the Real JID
(as opposed to the JID for my presence in the room) to find and subscribe
to the avatar of such occupants. Regularly leaving and entering rooms
doesn't matter then.

I wouldn't want to have your clients in my room though if it insists on sending
me avatars when I connect via a mobile device with an expensive pay-per-byte
connection.

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm