[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu May 8 15:53:40 UTC 2003

    JK> Some people whould like to have both photo and avatar and both
    JK> different.

I don't see a strong use case for having both a PHOTO and an avatar,
nor do I see a precedent in other IM systems (not that that matters
much, of course).

Well, yeah, but SOME people would like to have different avatars
depending on who's requesting the avatar. SOME people would like
having different avatars based on which conference room they're in.

SOME people would like to have avatars made of swiss cheese, and some
people would like to have 11-dimensional hyperavatars.

That doesn't mean the spec has to give it to them.

    JK> And vCard is also something, that could be stored in generic
    JK> pubsub. I don't see any reason (except the obvious historical)
    JK> to treat vCard specially.

I'd buy that for a nickel. Why not do vCard, that is, the _entire_
user profile, with pubsub, rather than just one part, the avatar?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us