[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Thomas Muldowney temas at box5.net
Thu May 8 16:08:50 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 01:49, Justin Karneges wrote:
> I believe the C-library libmng is crossplatform (this is how Qt gets its MNG
> support, which works on win32/x11/mac/zaurus).  libmng should cover most
> C/C++ applications, but I'm not sure about other languages like Java ...
>
> On Wednesday 07 May 2003 06:46 pm, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> > - drop GIF (considering it has patent issues for opensource
> > applications anyway)
>
> I agree.  If adventurous clients wish to use GIF anyway (like I probably will
> do with Psi), they can bite the patent bullet and do a GIF->PNG/MNG
> conversion before publishing.  What do others think?

Thinking that a client should convert the format is madness.  The client
should only allow usage of formats that are allowed within the spec.  As
to why we wanted to include GIF, it's simple.  Compatability with other
systems, primarily AIM.  Plus, the patent issues are for encoding of
GIFs, not use.

> > - restrict PNG's to compression method 0 (deflate)
> > - restrict JPG to standard encoding (as opposed to progressive encoding)
>
> I'm not sure if we should go there.  Clients should not be required to do
> image checking or reformatting (well, unless they wish to use an unsupported
> image format).

Justin, I'm confused.  You just advocated image conversion up above, and
not down here.  I'm very anti any conversion.  Tijl, what are the
downsides to allowing general PNG and JPG usage?  Funky display?  Why
would we want to limit to those?  Especially the PNG compression, this
is a great method to fit in the 8k cap.

> > As for animation, wether MNG or GIF or something else, I think it
> > should be a seperated from the static image.
>
> I say that if MNG is acceptable for the JEP, then there should be no need to
> have a separate 'animated' entry.
>
> > one that can be any contentype, animated (MNG, Flash, SVG anyone?) or
> > not (EPS, PSD, whatever).
>
> If the client wishes to use any of these others, it should convert to one of
> the supported formats before publishing.  This keeps our protocol simple.
>
> -Justin

Justin, please stop confusing me! =)  No conversion in client.  It's a
graphics problem not a client problem.  Tijl, I don't feel a special
section is needed for animation.  The animated formats encode the only
option I can think of, play once or loop forever.  What else would
dictate a special section?

--temas