[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Thomas Muldowney temas at box5.net
Thu May 8 16:15:06 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 07:10, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 12:35:17PM +0100, David 'TheRaven' Chisnall wrote:
> > As a further not, I don't believe anyone has yet clarified why simply
> > using the PHOTO attribute in a vcard is not acceptible for an avatar
> > yet.  Perhaps this could be done?  At the moment using pub-sub seems
> > like a 'we have this technology, let's use it' solution rather than a
> > 'this is the simplest and best way of doing it' solution.

The meanings of the two are distinctly different to me.  PHOTO is a
picture of you as a human, dog, cat, whatever your race.  An avatar is a
representation of you as an entity in the internet world.  Plus vCard's
method of use makes it extremely limitted in use.

PubSub is not anywhere near a "we have this technology, let's use it"
solution.  It's the _correct_ solution to this problem.  Here we have a
massive chunk of data that only certain parties wish to receive.  The
number of parties that wish to receive it can be anywhere from 0..n.
How do I avoid n people poking me for my vCard, or having to maintain a
list of n people and publish it to all of them.  That's right PubSub.
This is what pubsub is designed for.  I'll make this reasoning more
clear in the next JEP revision.

> Some people whould like to have both photo and avatar and both
> different. And vCard is also something, that could be stored in
> generic pubsub. I don't see any reason (except the obvious historical)
> to treat vCard specially.

vCard does need to be treated specially for the historical reason.  It's
a very heavily used piece of Jabber, and just changing it to use pubsub
would be bad.  Now, a new complete profiles JEP, that's a whole
different story.  There's been much talk about one, but as of yet no one
has stepped up to write it.  Takers?

--temas