[standards-jig] NEW: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Thu May 8 17:47:00 UTC 2003

> Ralph Meijer wrote:
> I might be way off, but your client (looks great!) probably
> doesn't qualify as a generic one.

Usual IM/P will be added soon. Will be a generic client with the Web
features. This client creates a user group with many avatars. Would be
nice for the rest of the world, if the avatars could be seen in other
clients :-) For jep-0084 avatars I'll code something based on JID and
disco, that's not the point.

> Of course you can expand
> presence stanzas with your own propietary extensions for
> avatars when you KNOW that all clients will be your
> product anyway.

This will be the case in the chat rooms used by the client. Arbitrary
names, created on demand.

> I came from the generic case where people often meet in the same rooms
> with different clients with a generic MUC system. When I come
> into a room regularly and want to see the avatars of the occupants,
> I use the Real JID (as opposed to the JID for my presence in the room)

> to find and subscribe to the avatar of such occupants. Regularly
> leaving and entering rooms doesn't matter then.
>
> I wouldn't want to have your clients in my room

I know and I design for that. It is rather that generic clients can join
in the Web-rooms.

> though if it
> insists on sending
> me avatars when I connect via a mobile device with an
> expensive pay-per-byte
> connection.

We'll keep out of your way.

As for this:
> If the author of a component doesn't want extended
> information to go through then that is his/her choice.
> If you don't like it, patch it/don't use it/write your own.

I know that's the usual phrase of open source developers. I use it
myself. I program clients. You can be sure that I will program a conf
component if it does not suit me. I already have. It is just easier for
other server operators to install the "default" conf component than
mine. Therefore I kindly ask about behaviours of this great piece.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG