[standards-jig] UPDATED: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Sebastiaan Deckers cbas at screaming3d.com
Thu May 8 23:53:06 UTC 2003

I would like to voice my opinion on the file format restrictions.

<rant>
GIF and JPEG are *everywhere*.  Do not assume PNG and MNG are the be-all
end-all graphics formats.  There are *real* reasons why not to pin down
on those two formats.
Remember the 95% Windows desktop dominance?  Now look at how poorly
Microsoft, Adobe and other vendors support PNG and MNG.

If restrictions are necessary, then for compatibility's sake my vote
would go to GIF + JPEG + PNG + MNG + WBMP.
But clients just look at the MIME type.  If they do not support some
proprietary (or future) format, then big deal.  That user simply shows
as the default avatar in your contact list, or whatever the
implementation decides.

I am saying the spec should be open to experimentation.  For example, if
I want to implement a proprietary 3D avatar system then no other client
will support rendering that data.  That's fine.  As long as my
proprietary client does not break the XML protocol for other clients,
who cares?  It must compliant, but not *necessarily* compatible.

JEP-8 got this part right.  It *encouraged* to use PNG, GIF, or JPEG.
It did not forbid developers to use anything else.
</rant>

--
Sebastiaan