[standards-jig] UPDATED: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Sat May 10 10:03:52 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 11:32:18PM +0200, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 03:31:56PM -0500, Thomas Muldowney wrote:
> > I hope this revision fixes most peoples concerns, or clarifies.
>
> A few remarks:
>
> Section 3.1 doesn't say you also have to create a data node.
>
> It is nowhere stated that you should only subscribe to the info node.
>
> It assumes people can query pubsub nodes (the data node) when they are not
> subscribers of that node.

About these three remarks. I have thought some more about this, and it isn't
really clear to me why the data should be in a pubsub node. As I read the
avatar JEP, it isn't intended that entities subscribe to the data node, but
only query published items to that node, based on the information received in
the info node. So the 'subscribe' in publish/subscribe is not used.

My question: why not store this information in public storage (like the disco
item) on the owner's server?

Also, since updates to the info node should be published to the 'current' item
id, why not also request it directly on that item in stead of using the
max_items approach?

I also see the alternate avatar option has been removed. I can imagine people
wanting different avatars corresponding to their presence. Should they use a
different node for each avatar, or another item id within the same info node?

On JEP-0030 (disco), section 4, first paragraph states:

   IM-based implementations of pub-sub SHOULD allow entities

What is this 'pub-sub' doing there? Should it be 'disco'?

--
Groetjes,

Ralphm