[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0048 (Bookmark Stogage)

Jiri Komzak J.Komzak at open.ac.uk
Wed May 14 11:50:51 UTC 2003

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Rachel Blackman has updated JEP-0048 (with Peter Millard's approval) to
> document only the existing protocol in use.

In the client I work on (BuddySpace) I use a 2 field (JID resp. URI and
namespace) message for communication between plug-ins and recently also
for local storage of bookmarks. It seems to me very similar to idea,
which I liked, posted by Peter some time ago:

Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
 > On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Ryan Eatmon wrote:
 >
 > <iq>
 >   <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'>
 >     <item
 >         type='contact'
 >         jid='stpeter at jabber.org'
 >         name='stpeter'
 >         subscription='both'/>
 >     <item
 >         type='room'
 >         jid='jdev at conference.jabber.org'
 >         name='jdev'/>
 >     <item
 >         type='url'
 >         url='http://www.jabber.org/'
 >         name='JSF'/>
 >   </query>
 > </iq>
 >
 > Or something like that -- if the Jabber URI spec were ready to go, we
 > could have a generic 'uri' attribute and distinguish between them
based on
 > the use of "xmpp://" vs. "http://" (rather than having different
 > attributes for contacts and URLs and so forth).

Though my bookmarks are partially machine dependant, I'd like to store
them on the server. Then, I'd like to store items with my own namespaces
or types probably in more general structure than the two types mentioned
in the JEP048.

The question then is, which way is the best one:
a) add my own types into the JEP048
b) store the other types of bookmark items in a seperate part of
jabber:iq:private

Thanks, Jiri