[standards-jig] Concern About JEP-0082

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu May 15 17:49:27 UTC 2003

    RE> I thought that format was based in UTC...  Which is why you
    RE> don't need time zones.

For XML-RPC or for JEP-0075? Or JEP-0009? Or ISO 8601?

This is from the XML-RPC spec, part of which is in question-and-answer
form:

      "* What timezone should be assumed for the dateTime.iso8601
      type? UTC? localtime?

      Don't assume a timezone. It should be specified by the server in
      its documentation what assumptions it makes about timezones."

By the way, if I haven't posted this before, here's the spec:

   http://www.xmlrpc.org/spec

Let me be clear: I think the XML-RPC dateTime.iso8601 format is
extremely vaguely specified. But implementations I've seen only do
YYYYMMDDTHH:MM:SS. None of the ones I've seen handle timezones at all.

Some implementations (the Perl module RPC::XML, for example), just
pass dateTime stuff around as strings. They don't do any parsing into
or out of a native format.

    RE> And to specify a different timezone you specify the offset
    RE> from UTC by say -5 (UTC - 5 hours) at the end.

There are lots of ways you can do it with ISO 8601 dates. The JEP-0082
format is real real good. But timezones aren't specified in XML-RPC's
one (lame) spec, and they're not well implemented.

Please: don't be fooled by the 'iso8601' in 'dateTime.iso8601'.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us