[standards-jig] Concern About JEP-0082

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu May 15 18:35:46 UTC 2003

    Me> Sadly, most XML-RPC implementations use this braindead format
    Me> (YYYYMMDDTHH:MM:SS). It's _terrible_: it leaves out timezones,
    Me> it doesn't allow millisecond granularity in times, doesn't do
    Me> nothing. But, de facto, this has become "the" datetime format
    Me> for XML-RPC.

    RE> I thought that format was based in UTC...  Which is why you
    RE> don't need time zones.  And to specify a different timezone
    RE> you specify the offset from UTC by say -5 (UTC - 5 hours) at
    RE> the end.

OK, so, I just noticed (hello, McFly) that an XML schema was added to
JEP-0009 . It uses xs:dateTime for the <dateTime.iso8601> element,
which is broader than what's vaguely suggested in the XML-RPC.

A note on this: this changes the JEP, AFAICT. IWBNI folks would update
the revision history in the JEP when changes occur. Also: I'm not
enough of a JEP lawyer to understand whether changes to a JEP document
after it's gone to final status are normative. Can someone straighten
me out on this?

Also, was the schema in JEP-0009 actually used to validate any XML-RPC
documents? Are we sure it works? I see a 'bug' in it right now -- the
<Base64> element is capitalized, whereas the XML-RPC spec uses
<base64>.

As far as JEP-0075 goes, I would definitely love to have a reasonable
datetime format, and the combination of the schema in JEP-0009 and
JEP-0082 makes it very clear and concise. If the JEP-0009 schema is
normative, which I hope it is, then any problems with compatibility
with the XML-RPC spec are moot. Compatibility with JEP-0009, and not
the XML-RPC spec, is the design goal for JEP-0075.

One other note: in my understanding, XML Schema's xs:dateTime format
doesn't allow millisecond precision, as in JEP-0082's Precise
Datetime. So w/r/t the current state of affairs, a JEP-0009
<dateTime.iso8601> can't contain a Precise Datetime.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us