[standards-jig] Concern About JEP-0082

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu May 15 20:23:22 UTC 2003

    EP> One other note: in my understanding, XML Schema's xs:dateTime
    EP> format doesn't allow millisecond precision, as in JEP-0082's
    EP> Precise Datetime. So w/r/t the current state of affairs, a
    EP> JEP-0009 <dateTime.iso8601> can't contain a Precise Datetime.

Let me correct myself again: the XML Schema dateTime is awful close to
the JEP-0082 Precise Datetime.

         http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime

The differences I can see:

    * XML Schema allows any number of digits after the fractional second
      decimal point; JEP-0082 allows either three or four, see below.

    * XML Schema allows negative years and years greater than 9999;
      JEP-0082 does not.

    * XML Schema explicitly forbids the year "0000". JEP-0082 does
      not.

There's a problem in the JEP-0082 definition. This is internally
inconsistent:

      "four-digit millisecond addendum to Time (000 through 999)"

It should either be:

      "three-digit millisecond addendum to Time (000 through 999)"

(more likely) or:

      "four-digit fractional second addendum to Time (0000 through 9999)"

I propose that the profiles in JEP-0082 be codified into an XML Schema
typelib that can be imported by other JEP schemata. I've attached to
this email a proposed version of that typelib as well as an example
schema that imports the schema and a sample document that uses the
example schema.

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us