[standards-jig] Concern About JEP-0082

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Thu May 15 20:32:50 UTC 2003

    EP> One other note: in my understanding, XML Schema's xs:dateTime
    EP> format doesn't allow millisecond precision, as in JEP-0082's
    EP> Precise Datetime. So w/r/t the current state of affairs, a
    EP> JEP-0009 <dateTime.iso8601> can't contain a Precise Datetime.

Let me correct myself again: the XML Schema dateTime is awful close to
the JEP-0082 Precise Datetime.

         http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime

The differences I can see:

    * XML Schema allows any number of digits after the fractional second
      decimal point; JEP-0082 allows either three or four, see below.

    * XML Schema allows negative years and years greater than 9999;
      JEP-0082 does not.

    * XML Schema explicitly forbids the year "0000". JEP-0082 does
      not.

There are similar differences between the JEP-0082 Date profile and
the XML Schema date type. In addition, JEP-0082 Dates do not allow a
timezone, as XML Schema dates do.

As mentioned above, there's a problem in the JEP-0082 definition. This
is internally inconsistent:

      "four-digit millisecond addendum to Time (000 through 999)"

It should either be:

      "three-digit millisecond addendum to Time (000 through 999)"

(more likely) or:

      "four-digit fractional second addendum to Time (0000 through 9999)"

I propose that the profiles in JEP-0082 be codified into an XML Schema
typelib that can be imported by other JEP schemata. I've attached to
this email a proposed version of that typelib as well as an example
schema that imports the typelib and a sample document that uses the
example schema.

I also wonder aloud if the differences between the JEP-0082 date
profiles and the XML Schema dateTime and date are worth the
effort. With the JEP-0082 restrictions, there's additional effort
involved on the part of the JEP author.

Why not just say that Jabber dates map exactly to XML Schema dateTime
or XML Schema date? If the differences are dropped, we can all just use
xsd:dateTime and xsd:date in our JEP schemata, and it's
easy-peasy.

~ESP