[standards-jig] Concern About JEP-0082

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 16 17:04:35 UTC 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 01:32:50PM -0700, Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     EP> One other note: in my understanding, XML Schema's xs:dateTime
>     EP> format doesn't allow millisecond precision, as in JEP-0082's
>     EP> Precise Datetime. So w/r/t the current state of affairs, a
>     EP> JEP-0009 <dateTime.iso8601> can't contain a Precise Datetime.
>
> Let me correct myself again: the XML Schema dateTime is awful close to
> the JEP-0082 Precise Datetime.
>
>          http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime
>
> The differences I can see:
>
>     * XML Schema allows any number of digits after the fractional second
>       decimal point; JEP-0082 allows either three or four, see below.

That's a typo, should be 3.

But we can have a different profile for ultra-precise timestamps if
there is the need.

>     * XML Schema allows negative years and years greater than 9999;
>       JEP-0082 does not.

As far as I know, IM did not exist before the birth of Jesus. As to the
Year 10k problem, it seems we're letting someone else worry about that.

>     * XML Schema explicitly forbids the year "0000". JEP-0082 does
>       not.

Again, what's the use?

> There are similar differences between the JEP-0082 Date profile and
> the XML Schema date type. In addition, JEP-0082 Dates do not allow a
> timezone, as XML Schema dates do.

Huh? What do you mean by "timezone"? We include either 'Z' (for UTC) or
'[+|-]hh:mm', do we need more?

> As mentioned above, there's a problem in the JEP-0082 definition. This
> is internally inconsistent:
>
>       "four-digit millisecond addendum to Time (000 through 999)"
>
> It should either be:
>
>       "three-digit millisecond addendum to Time (000 through 999)"
>
> (more likely) or:
>
>       "four-digit fractional second addendum to Time (0000 through 9999)"
Typo, it's 3.

> I propose that the profiles in JEP-0082 be codified into an XML Schema
> typelib that can be imported by other JEP schemata. I've attached to
> this email a proposed version of that typelib as well as an example
> schema that imports the typelib and a sample document that uses the
> example schema.
>
> I also wonder aloud if the differences between the JEP-0082 date
> profiles and the XML Schema dateTime and date are worth the
> effort. With the JEP-0082 restrictions, there's additional effort
> involved on the part of the JEP author.
>
> Why not just say that Jabber dates map exactly to XML Schema dateTime
> or XML Schema date? If the differences are dropped, we can all just use
> xsd:dateTime and xsd:date in our JEP schemata, and it's
> easy-peasy.

Maybe. I'll look at that.

Peter

> ~ESP