[standards-jig] On-the-fly zlib and/or bzip2 compression for file transfer.

Van Gale vangale at fastmail.fm
Sat May 17 00:00:33 UTC 2003

Hi IWO,

IW0 wrote:
> I think, that file transfer for Jabber should support bzip2 and/or
> zlib compression. Also think about encryption.
>
> Compare ZeBeDee: http://www.winton.org.uk/zebedee/
> "Zebedee is a simple program to establish an encrypted, compressed
> "tunnel" for TCP/IP or UDP data transfer between two systems. This allows traffic such as telnet, ftp and X to be protected from snooping as well as potentially gaining performance over low-bandwidth networks from compression."
> ZBD is under GPL.

This might provide security for data transfer between two systems.  I
say *might* because it's new and untested.  Look at the problems that
still come up with established and mature protocols like SSL.

If you want encryption between two systems just use SSL, which also
provides compression and works with the current servers and many clients.

However, if you'll search the JDEV archives (also probably the
standards-jig and the JADMIN archives) you'll see that this kind of
"point-to-point" security is not what people expect if they want message
privacy.  If I send a message from jidA at hostA to jidB at hostB and the
message is routed through @jabber.org, the link between jabber.org and
hostB might not be encrypted.  Therefore jidA's message is only
encrypted during half of it's trip.  Also, even if the link between
jabber.org and hostB is encrypted, the message is still in plaintext on
jabber.org.

This is why the IETF working group is working on a means of
"end-to-end", or e2e, encryption of jabber messages.

Read <http://www.jabber.org/ietf/draft-ietf-xmpp-e2e-02.html> to see a
preliminary draft.  Many of these issues are still being heavily
discussed.  Join the xmppwg mailing list if you want to contribute to
the discussion.  I recommend searching JDEV and standards-jigs for
previous discussions of Jabber encryption, then reading xmppwg
discussions, so you'll have a stronger background of the issues.

> Why adding compression support? This question is quite tautological ;)
> We can gain more kbps.

Please search for JDEV archives for past discussions of compression :)

Van Gale