[standards-jig] On-the-fly zlib and/or bzip2 compression for file transfer.

m at tthias.net m at tthias.net
Sat May 17 10:47:40 UTC 2003

Hi!

IW0 schrieb am 2003-05-16 23:33:50:
> I think, that file transfer for Jabber should support bzip2 and/or
> zlib compression. Also think about encryption.

We already have both of it!

This is one of the reasons I want to keep HTTP as the file transfer
protocol for Jabber. Compression for HTTP-Transfers is part of the base
HTTP protocol. Encryption has been added to HTTP/1.1 in RFC 2817
(http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2817.txt - note that this is not "https").

The nice thing about HTTP is that an author can implement a very simple
HTTP server/client to support file transfers. But he can also implement
HTTP with many bells and whistles had keeps compatibility with simple
clients.

Again: Even if we change the transport layer to something other then
plain TCP (e.g. IBB or SOCKS), I strongly suggest keeping HTTP above.

Tot kijk
    Matthias