[standards-jig] Concern About JEP-0082

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat May 17 19:41:17 UTC 2003

    Me> * XML Schema allows negative years and years greater than 9999;
    Me> JEP-0082 does not.

    PS> As far as I know, IM did not exist before the birth of
    PS> Jesus. As to the Year 10k problem, it seems we're letting
    PS> someone else worry about that.

    Me> * XML Schema explicitly forbids the year "0000". JEP-0082 does
    Me> not.

    PS> Again, what's the use?

I don't think these are particularly useful. I was kind of pointing
out that the differences between the (old) profile and the profile in
XML Schema were pretty negligible.

I can see some value to explicitly forbidding some parts of the XML
Schema profile -- it definitely makes parsing dates easier if you can
count on a fixed-size year and fractional date part. I don't think
that outweighs the advantage of drop-in XML Schema dateTimes, though.

(I'm writing this after the new version came up -- just wanted to
clarify.)

    Me> In addition, JEP-0082 Dates do not allow a timezone, as XML
    Me> Schema dates do.

    PS> Huh? What do you mean by "timezone"? We include either 'Z'
    PS> (for UTC) or '[+|-]hh:mm', do we need more?

JEP-0082 (old version) "Datetime" allowed a timezone, but "Date" did
not. XML Schema date (the YYYY-MM-DD thing) actually allows a timezone
to be added to the end.

I think the justification for this is that 2003-03-17-01:00 is
actually a different time period from 2003-03-17Z. There's 23 hours
of overlap, but they're not identical. I guess there are some
application domains where this would matter; I can't see the advantage
to it, though.

Anyways, it's another negligible edge-case difference.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou
evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us