[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0082

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Sat May 17 19:59:07 UTC 2003

    PS> I've updated JEP-0082 to refer to XML Schema datatypes:
    PS> http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0082.html

    PS> Evan, I'd appreciate it if you could review what I've done and
    PS> let me know if you find inaccuracies.

Jeez, apparently now I'm the picky date guy. B-)

It looks good to me. I have only two nits:

   1) Stupid timezones in dates. I dunno if this is worth mentioning
      or not.

   2) In my emails, I called the XML Schema type 'xs:date' and
      'xs:dateTime'. This is because schemata use namespaced
      types. But the prefix can be different, depending on how you
      declare it in the schema -- 'xs' and 'xsd' are the two most
      usual prefixes, but it's schema-dependent.

      It might be more accurate to say "XML Schema's 'date'" or
      "'date' in the XML Schema namespace" rather than 'xs:date'.

Otherwise, I think it looks really good, and I think it's a real boon
to JEP authors. It's a minor hassle to implementors -- they'll
_technically_ have to be able to parse some ridiculous-looking dates,
although I bet most will just ignore XML Schema's strange edge
cases. But they will only have to deal with one date format, which is
a good thing.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou