[standards-jig] Jabber ping

IW0 iw0 at poczta.onet.pl
Sun May 18 20:59:31 UTC 2003

Hello,

I have fillowing problem:
My girfriend has network problems often - I see that she is online, I
write something, but she does not respond... because she`s
disconnected and i don`t know that! Of course servers should check if
user is online little better.

But how about adding some kind of ping to Jabber?
My client send request: <ping>ping</ping>
Client of my girlfriend send answer: <ping>pong</ping>
I specify timeout: e.g. 5 seconds. If there is no answer, my client
shows status "ping timeout" for account of my girlfritnd and I know that she is de facto offline.

Cobra