[standards-jig] Jabber ping

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Mon May 19 00:03:59 UTC 2003

> But how about adding some kind of ping to Jabber?
> My client send request: <ping>ping</ping>

This is an implementation issue. Many clients currently send a single
whitespace character (since CDATA in the XML stream at the top level is
ignored) as a way to keep connections open across (say) NATs.

jabberd2 will implement server-issued keepalives for both client and
server connections, which will mean that client disconnections will
noticed in a timely manner.

Rob.