[standards-jig] Re: message events

Alexander Gnauck gnauck at myjabber.net
Sun May 18 09:43:02 UTC 2003

Hi.

> I've volunteered to write a standards-track JEP that replaces JEP-0022
> <http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0022.html>. To that end, it would be
> great if folks could say what they don't like about the current JEP
> (e.g., I know David Waite has some issues with it). Please complain
> loudly and the JEP author will gather your ideas together in a shiny
> new JEP that does everything you've always dreamed a message events
> JEP could do -- and more.

We should make clear that it is allowed to one typing event after the
other with the same ID. This means without receiving a new ID from the
other person. Lots of clients do this already.

Example:

i get this message from romeo:
<message to='romeo at montague.net' id='message22'>
  <x xmlns='jabber:x:event'>
        <composing/>
  </x>
</message>

i begin to answer this message, and becasue romeo supports the composing
event i show him that im typing
 <message
    from='romeo at montague.net'
    to='juliet at capulet.com/balcony'>
  <x xmlns='jabber:x:event'>
    <composing/>
    <id>message22</id>
  </x>
</message>

i send my message now
<message
    from='romeo at montague.net'
    to='juliet at capulet.com/balcony' id='message2'>
  <x xmlns='jabber:x:event'>
    <composing/>
  </x>
</message>

after this message i write a message to romeo again. And i wanna show
him again that im typing. So i send a typing event again with
ID=message22
<message
    from='romeo at montague.net'
    to='juliet at capulet.com/balcony'>