[standards-jig] NEW: Chat State Notifications (JEP-0085)

Casey Crabb crabbkw at nafai.dyndns.org
Tue May 20 15:12:40 UTC 2003

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 09:26:36AM +0200, Tijl Houtbeckers wrote:
> Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at jabber.org> wrote on 20-5-2003 2:01:20:
> >
> >I've published a new JEP for chat state notifications. Please note well
> >that this JEP does *not* address message tracking, only notifications
> >regarding chat states such as composing a reply. We will need another
> >JEP to address message tracking.
> >
> >http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0085.html
> >
> >Peter
>
> I think this JEP will make the use of <thread> even messier. There's
> already a known problem when clients that do not support multiple
> threads at the same time try to talk with clients that do. This is for
> me reason enough not to support <thread>, since this is also the only
> way to signal to other clients that I do not support multiple
> simultanious threads.

I only wish to echo the above. In voice UI's and some console UI's
multiple thread support is very difficult to provide. How can you
guess what thread the user wants to use? You can't ask the user to
specify which thread, thats more work than their are willing to put
forth.

The use of "Thread" only works when the user selects it unknowingly,
or when the machine can accurately select it for the user; which will
take quite an advance in AI before it will be possible.

(on an unrelated note, if someone knows of/has thought of a way to
provide multiple thread support on console without asking the user to
specify the thread, let me know; I'd love to be able to provide it)

--
Casey