[standards-jig] UPDATED: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Wed May 21 16:55:28 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 03:34:26PM +0200, Heiner Wolf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I do not like the "MUST be between thirty-two (32) and sixty-four (64)
> pixels". Is it possible to make this a SHOULD. What do you do if the
> other client sends a larger image?
Then that other client is not compliant and should not be used in Jabber
network. If user chooses too large image for his avatar, than his client
should complain and refuse or scale the image.

>Ignore it? Show an error? Or rather
> be a nice guy (read: developer) and scale it appropriately?
Do anything you want, but if it will be accepted, than it would
encourage more people to use too large avatars and abuse server
and other clients bandwidth.

Greets,
        Jacek