[standards-jig] UPDATED: User Avatars (JEP-0084)

Julian Missig julian at jabber.org
Thu May 22 03:02:46 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, May 21, 2003, at 13:39 US/Eastern, Sebastiaan Deckers
wrote:

> I also feel that this resolution cap is not based on any good reason.

It's based on making the images look best in the most circumstances
possible.

> Scaling is what clients will be doing anyway.  It's common sense.

Scaling looks *ugly*--especially if you have lots of very differently
sized images.

> Restricting the proportions is also an arbitrary decision.  What if a
> client uses elliptic or rectangular shaped avatars?

Elliptic? What image format supports elliptic images? Images are always
rectangular. Anything else is just alpha channels or masking of some
kind.

> If the concern is about renegade clients uploading megabyte-size
> avatars at 700dpi (lol) then just put a cap on the filesize.  Maybe a
> maximum of 20kB?

There is a cap on the file size in the JEP. 8 kB.

> I would like to leave these limitations up to the implementation
> because there is no way to enforce them.  Calling it a broken
> implementation is not going to solve anything.

Just because there is no way to enforce them does not mean they should
at least be suggested. Heck, making an 8 kB limit is just a suggestion,
really. It's a suggestion that you should use 8 kB or else other
implementations may ignore you or discard you.

I'd prefer keeping restrictions on image sizings, just perhaps changing
the 32x32 and 64x64 suggestions to SHOULD rather than MUST. If clients
know to expect generally 32x32 or 64x64 images, then the images can be
displayed at their best, rather than just scaling every single image
that we're fed and not displaying anything all that nicely.

Julian