[standards-jig] JEP-0060 Pub/Sub, error conditions

Bob Wyman bob at wyman.us
Fri May 23 19:27:10 UTC 2003

Ralph Meijer wrote:
> Unsubscribing from a node when you are not subscribed to
> the node should return a 401 according to the JEP. But why?
> This isn't really an error is it? Just reporting success
> seems more logical
	If you simply return success, you have hidden a potentially
important hint that there is a disconnect between the subscriber's
information concerning subscriptions and the server's view of the same
data. I would assume that a client that received a 401 in response to
unsubscribing from a node might wish to take some action which would
cause it to refresh it's state concerning other subscriptions it
believes are outstanding.
	Returning the 401 is cheap and easily ignored by a client that
doesn't care. What harm is done by sending it?

		bob wyman