[standards-jig] Re: [Foundation] Last Minute JEP 78 Concerns

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at bnet.pl
Sat May 24 10:14:32 UTC 2003

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 04:47:36PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> This document is now standards-track so that we can included it in the
> Jabber IM Basic protocol suite. This is essentially for the sake of
> platforms that won't soon have SASL libraries (if ever), such as J2ME.

SASL implementation including only the required DIGEST-MD5 mechanism is
quit easy and I don't see the reason why one should require a special
library, even if it is available. The widely used cyrus-sasl library is
IMHO quite complicated and not very well documented and I would trust
more those Jabber implementations that don't use cyrus-sasl, unless more
than DIGEST-MD5 is needed.

Greets,
        Jacek