[standards-jig] Last Minute JEP 78 Concerns

Justin Karneges justin-jdev at affinix.com
Sat May 24 11:44:36 UTC 2003

On Saturday 24 May 2003 03:14 am, Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 04:47:36PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > This document is now standards-track so that we can included it in the
> > Jabber IM Basic protocol suite. This is essentially for the sake of
> > platforms that won't soon have SASL libraries (if ever), such as J2ME.
>
> SASL implementation including only the required DIGEST-MD5 mechanism is
> quit easy and I don't see the reason why one should require a special
> library, even if it is available. The widely used cyrus-sasl library is
> IMHO quite complicated and not very well documented and I would trust
> more those Jabber implementations that don't use cyrus-sasl, unless more
> than DIGEST-MD5 is needed.

Complicated and not well documented compared to what?  I found that Cyrus-SASL
was a lot easier to use than, say, OpenSSL, and docs were easy to find.  I've
written wrapper classes for TLS and SASL using these libs, and the one based
on OpenSSL took weeks while the one based on Cyrus-SASL took one day.

-Justin