[standards-jig] Re: [Foundation] Last Minute JEP 78 Concerns

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Tue May 27 21:04:45 UTC 2003

Matt Tucker <matt at jivesoftware.com> wrote on 27-5-2003 22:53:16:

>Tijl -- your ideas on making a better digest mode are good. But again,
>shouldn't we just leave digest as it is, let servers secure it on
>their end, and focus on SASL?

I agree with you that edigest in it's proposed form as by Dave is not
usefull. I also disagree that we should deprecate normal digest, let
alone plain text, authentication in favor of edigest. However, it's
true that in some cases you'd want to have something like edigest. And
then it's best we standerdize it, not only so that clients and server
can be interoperateable, but also so that the same mistakes that were
made now will not be repeated.

Choice = good.

--
Tijl Houtbeckers