[standards-jig] JEP-0049 question

Iain Shigeoka iash at manning.com
Tue May 27 22:57:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

I'm implementing iq-private support following JEP 49. I have noticed
that jabberd1.4 matches only the namespace and ignores element name of
private data. Is this behavior consistently implemented on other
servers to match. I read the current JEP to mean "match on both the
element name and namespace (fully qualified name)" which makes more
sense to me.  You can store multiple packets in the same namespace on
the server by using different element names rather than creating many
namespaces.

I think the JEP should clarify:

What is the matching criteria (namespace only, or element name plus
namespace)

If namespace only, what occurs when an element with a different name
but same namespace is set (if we follow jabberd1.4, it replaces
regardless of element name)

If namespace only, what occurs when an element with a different name
but same namespace is used to get stored data (if we follow jabberd1.4,
it retrieves any packet with matching namespace).

You can test the current (IMO odd behavior) by using Exodus 0.8.5.1
against the server running on jabber.org. Set a bookmark to see it use
iq private with one element name and namespace, and then login and
logout to see it retrieve that bookmark using a different element name
and namespace.

-iain