[standards-jig] base ical question ....

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Thu May 29 05:55:12 UTC 2003

> ical and friends are simply structured text. so it doesn't fit well into
> the jabber world. xml-izing it (e.g. xcal) would make it more or less
> jabber-ish. However, this is a *lot* of work, xml-izing all the other
> ical related protocols. Also, we lose native interop with 'normal' ical
> implementations.
>
> keeping ical and friends in their native habitat would give us interop
> with existing impl's. But it would introduce the need for yet another
> parser.

Presumably you're aware of the old xCal draft:

  http://www.calsch.org/ietf/archives/draft-ietf-calsch-many-xcal-02.txt

I don't know what state its in though - it might need some updating to
reflect iCal proper.

(There was a -03 draft, but the single reference to it that I can get
out of Google doesn't help - and where is Frank Dawson now, anyway?)

Having said that, I think the best solution is going to greatly depend
on the requirements for this JEP. Are you looking to just transport
calendar objects around via Jabber, or do you want to build a
Jabber-based calendaring protocol?

If its a just transporting objects, then just wrap iCal objects in a
stanza and pass it around - not much point doing anything more.

If you're looking to build a Jabber-based calendaring system, would be
able to write a bit more about requirements? Its occurs to me that it
might be easier to write our own system and protocols and then provide
import/export (gateway) options for iCal proper, rather than trying to
fit a square peg in a round hole.

If it indeed comes to that - haven't done enough research into it.

Rob.