[standards-jig] base ical question ....

Iain shigeoka iain at shigeoka.com
Thu May 29 14:48:25 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, May 28, 2003, at 22:12 US/Pacific, Justin Kirby wrote:

> Well its time I tackle the ical jep and actually do something about
> it....  Before I do that I have a question that fundamentally affects
> the design of the protocol.

Hoorah!

> The two options are:
> 1) xml-ize ical and friends[1]
> 2) wrap ical and friends in a jabber stanza
>
> As with everything there are tradeoffs and I want to seek the
> community's opinion before I go running down a dark road.

The two precedents I can see are:

1) our (semi-broken) vcard xml-ization
2) the e2e wrappering of CPIM (MIME) in a packet

The former doesn't have that great a track record because I haven't
seen many Jabber vcard implementations that interop well (COUNTRY CNTRY
country madness) and the e2e wrapping of MIME isn't proven.

My knee jerk reaction is that unless there is a strong standards effort
around the xml-ized version of ical (xcal or a jsf homebrew version) it
will turn into the same mess we have with vcard. It's also going to be
a lot of work to keep the xcal or whatever xml-ized version of ical
current. So I'd vote to wrap standard ical (so we define the wrapping
and perhaps some jabber specific extensions to augment the ical data)
and point to the ical spec for defining the actual calendar data
formats.

I can be swayed to the other side though if there is some good argument
for re-inventing the wheel.

-iain