[standards-jig] Small Footprint Clients and Authentication

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Thu May 29 23:13:33 UTC 2003

> but, even though I work with (very) small footprint devices I can't
> really give an answer here (yet) because of the limited resources of my
> devices I use plaintext authentication when space is really restricted.
> That already means I can't do SASL and won't be able to do so for years
> to come in many devices. However, I don't use digest or edigest in this
> case either, so it's less relevant for the edigest discussion.

SASL does have a PLAIN mechanism, which is dead simpler. True, XMPP does
not require it, but I fully expect most servers to implement it.

Whether deployed servers make it available or not is another story, but
then again, there's nothing requiring a server administrator to make
DIGEST-MD5 available either, so that argument is fairly pointless.

Rob.