[standards-jig] Small Footprint Clients and Authentication

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Thu May 29 22:59:05 UTC 2003

"Richard Dobson" <richard at dobson-i.net> wrote on 30-5-2003 0:48:34:

>J2ME does have quite a low file size limit on most mobiles, since more
>and more popular phones are coming out with the capability to run
>native C++ symbian applications wouldnt an XMPP clients be better
>suited to be a native C++ symbian app than the restricted J2ME?
>
>The phones that I know of that run native C++ apps are the Nokia 3650
>and the Nokia 7650 (only because I investgated them before I bought my
>3650), there must be more than these, now I realise these do not
>represent a large portion of the smart phones available but phones
>like the 3650 are becoming rather popular over here in the UK.
>
>So maybe you dont need to worry so much about the J2ME size limit and
>just leave the things that wont fit out and create native C++ versions
>with a much fuller feature set, which will hopefully give people more
>incentive to get better phones which support your much improved client.

Writing of J2ME as a platform would be a very bad decision. I'll post a
little more J2ME phones/specs later as I promised, but I can say this
now. Symbiam is being marketed towards more expensive "smartphones".
Currently available are the Nokia series 90 (Symbian 6), Nokia series
60 (Symbian 6.1 / 6.2, that includes the 7650 and the 3650 you
mentioned, and is licensed to many others, but no devices available
yet), and UIQ (Symbian 7), used on the infamous SonyEricsonn P800. Note
that when you write an application for one of these groups it will not
automaticaly run on any of the other groups (different UI API's for
example).

While it's true that with the more native C++ you have acces to more of
the device hardware, that does not make it automatically more feature-
rich as J2ME. It especially lacks any kind of security model. Just for
that reason OTA (Over The Air) loading of .SIS (Symbian C++)
applications is often disabled.

Compare this with J2ME, for wich there are many many more phones (so
much more that I'm not even gonna list them here, cause I probably
don't even know half of them!). There are also many, many more J2ME
devices announced than Symbian devices. Ofcourse, J2ME also runs on
many PDA's and even Microsoft Smartphone in some cases. OTA (wich is
how users will get their apps!) is the normal way for distributing J2ME
apps, and most have a very decent security model.

J2ME is going to be a *very* big platform for a long time to come. In
fact, it already is with over a million J2ME/MIDP enabled phones out
there (some more capable then others ofcourse) not even counting Japan.
I don't see *any* reason why should not consider J2ME as a potential
platform for Jabber.

To give the perfect example of a recent J2ME device (no Symbian!),
almost on the market, and with limited specs (64KB max. codesize, the
default spec. for all just above low-end Nokia phones (low-end is
50KB), also known as series 40).

http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,4486,00.html

You tell me you don't want Jabber on that?? Sheesh..

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo