[standards-jig] Small Footprint Clients and Authentication

Tijl Houtbeckers thoutbeckers at splendo.com
Fri May 30 01:15:31 UTC 2003

Evan Prodromou <evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us> wrote on 30-5-2003
3:07:00:

>I think the root of the problem here is that the XMPP's requirement
>that DIGEST-MD5 authentication MUST be supported should be downgraded
>to a SHOULD. This would allow small-footprint clients to use plaintext
>passwords within the framework of XMPP.

I was indeed under the misimpression that it was SASL that required
DIGEST-MD5, but once I started looking closer to both the SASL and XMPP
specs I noted this is not the case. Rob is gonna bring it up with the
XMPP group. From looking at the SASL documents so far, it will
definatly take more code as the old iq:auth to do SASL-PLAIN, but
ofcourse less codesize increase than DIGEST-MD5 would bring.

--
Tijl Houtbeckers
Software Engineer @ Splendo