[standards-jig] Small Footprint Clients and Authentication

Evan Prodromou evan at prodromou.san-francisco.ca.us
Fri May 30 04:04:51 UTC 2003

    TH> Writing of J2ME as a platform would be a very bad
    TH> decision. I'll post a little more J2ME phones/specs later as I
    TH> promised, but I can say this now. [...]

Hele goed! I now know 100% more about developing for phones than I did
before reading this email.

For my own curiosity: aren't there built-in authentication mechanisms
for phones? I thought there were embedded ID chips and all that
jazz. I mean, I got my phone, it's got a phone number, everybody I
call knows who I am, my cellular carrier knows I'm not a phreaker or
something, yadda yadda. I thought there was some kind of identity
built into the system.

If I were getting paid to develop Jabber apps for phones, and I had
control over the Jabber server, I'd figger out some way to use that
embedded ID for celly authentication. Forget all that chatty
DIGEST-MD5 hoohaw!

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou