[standards-jig] Small Footprint Clients and Authentication

Alexey Shchepin alexey at sevcom.net
Fri May 30 17:09:47 UTC 2003

Hello, Peter!

On Thu, 29 May 2003 11:35:19 -0500, you said:

 PS> I see several issues here:

 PS> 1. There are no SASL-aware servers to test against. SASL-aware servers
 PS> will not be widespread on the Jabber network for some time to come.

On e.jabber.ru currently running ejabberd with slightly outdated version of
SASL authentification (based on xmpp-core-08).  It is open for registration, so
client developers can freely use it for testing.  I'll update implementation to
confirm latest xmpp-core soon.

 PS> But we want to do compliance testing rather soon, and it's unrealistic to
 PS> expect clients to do only SASL authentication when SASL-aware servers are
 PS> not available (or widely available).

Clients can use SASL if stream version='1.0', and old mechanism otherwise.