AW: [standards-jig] Re: My IP Address

Heiner Wolf wolf at bluehands.de
Tue Sep 2 10:11:56 UTC 2003

Hi

asking the server (or some other external instance) is useful to get the
externally visible IP address. Sometimes the client has multiple IP
addresses from multiple network interfaces, externel, internal
addresses, dialup and LAN at the same time, etc. NAT makes it even more
difficult for a client to determine the correct address for a
"jabber:iq:ip" response. So, asking the server gets back the address
which the server "sees" on the connection. This is most likely the one
that will be useful for other clients in P2P.

hw
--
Dr. Klaus H. Wolf
bluehands GmbH & Co.mmunication KG