[standards-jig] Re: My IP Address

Ulrich B. Staudinger us at die-horde.de
Tue Sep 9 12:21:09 UTC 2003

Bart van Bragt wrote:

> Michael Brown wrote:
>
>> No, the simplest method of doing a file transfer for me - as it stands
>> today - is via oob http (supported by almost all clients) though NAT
>> (almost
>> everyone has a hardware NAT server now) with port forwarding (this is
>> the
>> only configuration) or uPNP.
>
> Seems like there are also Linux implementations of uPNP showing up.
> Also seems like more and more firewalls/NAT-boxes/routers are starting
> to support UPnP, mainly because of MSNM 5/6..
>
> http://www.upnp.org/
> http://linux-igd.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the links.
http://www.cswl.com/whiteppr/tech/upnp.html describes upnp more extensive.

> I guess the Jabber clients need to support UPnP in order to use it?

afaiu it's built on top of multicasting, thus a jabber server should
propably support multicasting in advance. And a jabber client should be
able to listen and connect to a multicasting server/ip - the client
would have to filter all packets not directly transmitted to him.

or am i wrong?

i think it's worth a try - what happens if i enable a server on a
multicast address? :-)

ulrich

--
Ulrich B. Staudinger