[standards-jig] Re: My IP Address

Matthias Wimmer m at tthias.net
Tue Sep 9 16:30:34 UTC 2003

Hi Ulrich!

Ulrich B. Staudinger schrieb am 2003-09-09 14:21:09:
> Thanks for the links.
> http://www.cswl.com/whiteppr/tech/upnp.html describes upnp more extensive.
>
> >I guess the Jabber clients need to support UPnP in order to use it?
>
> afaiu it's built on top of multicasting, thus a jabber server should
> propably support multicasting in advance. And a jabber client should be
> able to listen and connect to a multicasting server/ip - the client
> would have to filter all packets not directly transmitted to him.
>
> or am i wrong?

I am not really an expert on the uPNP protocol. But I don't think that
it only works if the service you are using is a multicast service. I can
only imagine that the communication between the uPNP client and the uPNP
server (how ever they are called in uPNP terminology) goes over
multicast.

If the complete service you want to use would need to use multicast you
couldn't use uPNP for anything as most providers do not support
multicasting. Actually in Germany the only one I know is the DFN
(Deutsches Forschungsnetz).

> i think it's worth a try - what happens if i enable a server on a
> multicast address? :-)

No ... multicasting can only be used with datagrams ... you can't use
TCP with multicasting. - But was I said: I don't think you have to use
it. I expect multicasting is only used for finding the uPNP server in
your network.

Tot kijk
    Matthias