[standards-jig] Re: My IP Address

Richard Dobson richard at dobson-i.net
Tue Sep 9 23:58:02 UTC 2003

> No ... multicasting can only be used with datagrams ... you can't use
> TCP with multicasting. - But was I said: I don't think you have to use
> it. I expect multicasting is only used for finding the uPNP server in
> your network.

Kind of correct from watching how my firewall operates (it has built in
UPnP) it operates as follows, clients do a subnet broadcast to locate any
UPnP servers that might be present, if one responds it makes a series HTTP
requests over TCP on a special port on the UPnP server, to do capability
discovery and setup the ports it wants.

Richard