[standards-jig] disco category for clients

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Thu Sep 11 01:11:14 UTC 2003

> After discussion with several people interested in this topic, I've come
> up with the following list:
>
> - handheld  [client on PDA or other small device]
> - pc        [traditional desktop/laptop client]
> - phone     [client on mobile phone or other telephony device]
> - web       [browser-based client]
>
> These seem clear to me. It's possible other client types exist, but I'm
> not creative enough to think up what they are right now. In any case, we
> can always add new types later if needed.

These look like a good start.

> Note well that these are client types, not connection types (WAP, GPRS,
> etc.). Also this category does not address situations such as connecting
> through a gateway (e.g., SMS). Those issues need more thought.

Is a catch all "external" or "unknown" type appropriate for this?

> In my role as Jabber Registrar, I plan to add a disco category for
> clients (with the types listed above) sometime in the next week. If you
> have a strong interest in this topic or disagree with the client types
> listed above, please let me know in the next few days.

As a small aside, I'd still like a category/type for Jabber servers. I'm
still using "x-service"/"x-jabber" for j2, because nothing else fits.
The problem is that its kind of a category of one. Perhaps it would make
more sense to have a "im" category (rather than "gateway"), and under
that have "xmpp" for minimal XMPP-IM servers, "jabber" for Jabber
servers, as well as "aim", "icq", "msn" and "yahoo". That could be
ambiguous too though (since transports aren't exactly IM services). Not
sure :)

Rob.