[standards-jig] Re: [JDEV] disco category for clients

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Thu Sep 11 14:40:39 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 11:36:41PM -0700, Ragavan S wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> >In my role as Jabber Registrar, I plan to add a disco category for
> >clients (with the types listed above) sometime in the next week. If you
> >have a strong interest in this topic or disagree with the client types
> >listed above, please let me know in the next few days.
>
> What is the motivation behind coming up with this disco category? What
> problems are we planning on solving with this category? I think outlining
> the answers to these questions will help us refine the different types of
> clients we want to list in this disco category.
>
> Also, would this affect JEP 115, and if so, how?

Right now, if I send a disco request to your client, it can't reply
with *any* category/type information because none is defined. So that
needs to be fixed. What is the best way to identify clients as types?
Seems to me that it has something to do with capabilities at a high
level (not specific namespaces etc., since that is covered by disco
feature vars). Most people I've talked to have made broad distinctions
between full desktop/laptop clients, minimal phone clients, handheld
clients which may be somewhere in between, and web clients. Are these
the best and most useful distinctions? Perhaps not. But they appear to
capture about 80% of the client types out there.

This attempt at a rough categorization is different from the problem
being addressed by JEP-0115, which is about version advertisement if you
will, rather than categorization of client types.

Jabber Software Foundation