[standards-jig] UPDATED: JEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri Sep 12 03:15:01 UTC 2003

I've finally published version 1.5 of JEP-0045 (Multi-User Chat), which
incorporates all of the feedback I have received so far from those who
have implemented the protocol. I have several small matters to follow up
on, as well as two large ones: (1) XMPP-style error codes and (2) the
large question of authentication (the current plaintext password should
probably be deprecated, but I'm not sure what kind of auth we really
need in groupchat -- perhaps members-only rooms are enough).

The changelog for version 1.5 looks long, but most of these were small
fixes and clarifications:

   Specified that ban occurs by JID, not roomnick; allowed privileged
   users to send messages to the room even if not present in the room;
   added note that service should remove occupant if a delivery-related
   stanza error occurs; enabled user to disco the room in order to
   discover registered roomnick; specified that "banning" by domain or
   regex is a service-level configuration matter and therefore out of
   scope for MUC; specified that role should be decremented as
   appropriate if affiliation is lowered; added some clarifying text to
   room creation workflow; added implementation note about sending an
   out-of-band message if a user's affiliation changes while the user is
   not in the room; fixed stringprep references (room nicks use
   Resourceprep); clarified relationship between Room ID (i.e., node
   identifier of Room JID, which may be opaque) and natural-language
   Room Name; specified Field Standardization profile per JEP-0068;
   defined Jabber Registrar submissions; added schema locations. (psa)

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0045.html

Jabber Software Foundation