[standards-jig] disco category for clients

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Fri Sep 12 16:41:25 UTC 2003

I thought announcing capabilities (e.g. "features") was the point to
JEP-0030 in general?  If that seems to be lacking., then we need to
specify enough features to make a proper accounting.  Additionally, I
really don't think it truly matters what hardware/platform my client is
on (and if it does, there's "jabber:iq:version" to help anyway); if my
client says it can do something, then that should be enough information,
thankyouverymuch (-:

With that in mind, it would seem that the list of client types would
seem redundant.  However, it is useful to have a very general
classification of clients, which is what the proposed types provide.  I
was thinking the types were probably too granular ("mobile" instead of
"phone" and "handheld", or do you not hold your phone in your hand?
(-:), and missed one important one ("bot" or "automaton").

Maybe we need only distinguish between "human" and "machine" client
types? Or make the distinction based on the "requirements" JEPs (e.g.
IM-Basic, IM-Advanced)?

FWIW, I am content with (more-or-less) the given list:

client/handheld   (or client/mobile)
client/pc
client/phone      (or client/mobile)
client/web