[standards-jig] very large MUC rooms

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Sep 15 18:02:58 UTC 2003

Someone poked me offlist about the existence of very large rooms in MUC
(i.e., rooms with hundreds or thousands of members). The administrators
of such rooms may not want the room to broadcast presence for every room
occupant, only for occupants above a certain level, for people who are
being interviewed while the masses listen in, etc. So I think it would
be appropriate to change the JEP so that a room is not required to
broadcast presence for all occupants -- rather, presence should be
broadasted, but may not be depending on room configuration.

Thoughts? Are there any other implications of having extremely large
rooms?

Jabber Software Foundation