[standards-jig] very large MUC rooms

Michael Poole mdpoole at troilus.org
Tue Sep 16 13:12:11 UTC 2003

Ryan Eatmon <reatmon at jabber.org> writes:

> Now that sparks an interesting idea...
>
> Broadcast rooms.  This could be a room that only a few people can join
> (the participants) and freely chat without interupption.  All of the
> conversations of that room are instead broadcasted to any number of
> listener rooms.  That way you don't have to have thousands in a single
> room.  Just have a room request to be a listener.  Presence info is
> relayed to just the listeners, who in turn relay it to it
> users. Basically, allow a muc room to join another muc room.
>
> Does that even make sense?

It has been done before, but in my opinion is a kludgy solution for
the problem of large rooms since participation information is no
longer in one place (users must also decide which listening room to
join).  Once you get rooms that large, the organizers will almost
universally want to know how many visitors were there; commercial
organizers may want visitors' JIDs as well.

A somewhat cleaner solution is to simply have a configuration option
that suppresses broadcasting presence information for visitors.  On
IRC, that has scaled to at least 4000 users in a room without
problems.  There can be an additional command that allows a
participant to request a complete list of other participants.

Since most IRC clients keep internal track of the users currently in a
room, a safe implementation there has to take additional steps to keep
clients synchronized; I am not sure whether that applies to Jabber
clients or not.  The steps are (1) always show the user as in the room
to herself and (2) once a user is shown to someone else, she stays
visible even if she loses voice and moderation privileges.

Michael Poole